Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 28- Healing in time, Healing with opportunity


Kelsey
It so happended that the morning I wake up with a sore throat and stuffy nose is the same day we go visit the “medicine woman” in town. Starting from the beginning, with that being said, I slowly got out of bed this morning, falling a few steps behind the rest of the group. Lucky for me, the pool guy slept in too, so I wasn’t the only one in town having a hard time getting out of bed nor the only one unbathed.
Even though I was the last one to eat and the last one out the door I made it in time for my interview with the founders of United Native Nations Organization. Since it was a nice day, we met at the picnic area near the museum. Very interesting non-profit they’re starting up and you can all read about it online or in the paper next week! J
After the interview I went to work in my “office” which is my car, parked outside the city library where I can steal their internet. I met a nice couple from Wisconsin and so we sat outside the library, with our windows rolled down, computers on laps, chatting and working away.
After finishing up my story on the Lodgepole Gallery and Tipi Village I went to find lunch.
At lunch time I noticed how busy Browning was. Every enrolled Blackfeet individual (including children) received their Per Capita Payout of $550. Cars were backed up near the Tribal Offices, bank and grocery stores. Lines were stretched throughout, waiting to cash their checks. I finally ate and then went to the Glacier Reporter to submit my work. 4-year-old Ethan (grandson of a woman I work with) was there. SO after some quick editing tips from Editor John McGill I was off in the backyard, ironically shooting at Ethan with a toy gun while he shot at me with a bow and arrow.
This little guy sucked out any energy I had left and so I hurried off to finish the rest of my day’s work. I went to the work sites of the volunteers to take pictures. Terri and Danny were making signs for other Head Starts, Andy and Brian were building and planting gardens for locals around the community. Marisa was off doing meals-on-wheels and no pictures were taken.  I then returned to Head Start to take a nap. I woke up just before supper time. The crew, Joe Jessepe and Darrell Kipp went to eat Indian Tacos at The Hut.
After dinner, we were taken on a quick tour of the Immersion school. We parted ways with Joe and Darrell after learning a lot about the school and community. The group and I went to Pauline Matt’s house to learn about her products and the use of native plants. We purchased our goods, played with her dogs, and took pictures of her beautiful backyard- the Rocky Mountains. Pauline sent me home with some of her homemade medicine and hand picked tea. She told me it will cure me of my cold and that I may say a few bad words after taking the medicine. So far, I can say that one of those statements is true.

Thought of the day:
Blackfoot saying-
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow, which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment