Monday, July 4, 2011

Enjoying the Grandeur in our Midst


Today was a day of wonder here in Montana. Being a part of a group of people from diverse backgrounds, of different ages and from different areas of the country – that is a very good and mystical thing.

Day dawned brightly and got even better as Candace made a brimming pot of coffee. Bless you, Candace. After breakfast, a wonderful message from Ruth (who is a huge inspiration to each of us) and Vicky’s inaugural journal, ultra-local Joe Jessepp squired us on a nearly seven-hour tour of Glacier Park. Joe packed our day with local lore, geology, loads of humor. Glacier Park contributed both grandeur and simplicity. There is a haunting timelessness about both the Park and the Blackfeet. This is my third trip here with Global Volunteers. It will not be my last trip here.

Shortly after we arrived at the park, we were treated to sunny skies and a rain shower. I was reminded of one of my favorite songs, YOUNGER GENERATION, by the Lovin’ Spoonful.
I swore when I was small,
That I’d remember when,
I knew what’s wrong with them, That I was smaller than. Determined to remember, All the cardinal rules,
Like sun showers are legal grounds, For cutting school.

I think the Lovin’ Spoonful was with us in Joe’s van today. As we left our picnic lunch, I noticed a bumper sticker on a car in the parking lot: “A closed mind is a good thing to lose.” Global Volunteers is all about opening minds. Happy Independence Day!
- Ken

Message
“National parks are the best idea we ever had, absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst.” (Wallace Stegner)

No comments:

Post a Comment